July 9, 2013

Marathon Training #1

With impeccable timing as usual, I did my first marathon training run today. It's not like I don't have enough going on, between prepping for grad school (including trying to prove that, yes, I do have a tetanus shot*,) moving in less than two weeks, maintaining a long-distance relationship and busy work days - I figured why not throw in a marathon in four months?

The nice thing is that the plan I'm following only has me running four days a week (and cross training one day - and trust me, I will be liberal with the definition of "cross-training" - as in, "yes, this two mile bike ride counts.") I've found a new three mile route near my house to do, which only takes me across one moderately busy road, instead of the three I was doing this winter. The downside is I can't decide if it's an awesome road/path run, or a creepy-as-all-get-out path and tunnel. Maybe both, depending on the time of day? Either way, I'm only here 12 or so more days, before I'm a nomad for three weeks and then I've got to find new routes in North Carolina.

Onward and upward!

*Is grad school only achieved by climbing a bed of rusty nails everyday? I really don't understand this.

No comments: