February 17, 2011

Dirt

{Hello...is there anything good in my dirt? You are looking awfully clear..}
 {Naturally, it's not where it should be}

I tested my soil last night. This must be a natural progression of getting into gardening. I didn't test soil the last two years, I've just dumped stuff in the boxes and let things grow; though, I've had ideas that maybe my soil was lacking. This year I've actually tried to figure out what I'm doing, instead of just making it up. (Though I do love winging it...)

Sending my dirt off to get tested would have been more accurate, I'm sure, but I like to do things a little ghetto fabulously. And as I said, I wasn't surprised by any of this.

Basically, the soil needs to be more acidic, and it needs a lot of nitrogen, potassium, and a lot of, but not as much phosphorus. I'd tell you what that means I need to put in the dirt, but I don't know off hand, and I don't feel like looking it up right now.

I only tested the middle box, because that is where the early plants like lettuce and arugula are going, but I have no reason to doubt that the other boxes are the same. If I have the time I'll give those a test too, just because experiments are fun!

No comments: