November 3, 2009

Why Nanowrimo is awesome

Well, I guess it's a little forward of me, considering Nanowrimo is only on it's third day (but I'm way ahead on words, at almost 7,000, both for the regular daily goal, and my modified version.) But I guess why it is awesome, for me at least, has very, very little to do with writing a novel in a month. It's the fact that it has made me be more productive, and manage my time better.

See, for the last few months, my life has been really, really in a rut. I hang out by myself, at home most of the time. I mean, it's not a huge deal, because I am a bit of a homebody, but at the same time, all I could ever bring myself to do was watch a movie, or read a book (both of which I love to do, really.) I'd think: someday I'd like to focus on photography, or someday I'll find something that excites me a bit more.

To get ahead, I cleaned everything in house I could. I organized my desk (the one thing I have trouble keeping clean.)

In the weeks leading up to November, I listed more items than I ever had before in my Etsy shop.

I sent off, and recieved my tax ID.

Because I have a tax ID, I've started to take my "hobbies" of sewing and photography more seriously.

Thus, I have contacted a collective about cosigning a few of my tshirt products in their store. They seem interested.

I shot a wedding the day before Nanowrimo started, and I'm already 1/5th of the way done with editing said photos.

I have a plan with what to do with my time after Nanowrimo.

I think it's sort of like running a marathon, or doing something crazy/stupid like that, you need to do it, to prove to yourself that you can do it. And thusly, giving yourself permission to do other things. I don't need to run a marathon, I did enough running in high school. But I can write a novel. And I can do those other things I think I might want to do.

If I'm exhausted and crying, alone in a corner in a week and a half, remind me of this post.

No comments: