October 23, 2009

Feature Friday: J2Jewelry

Okay, I know my last feature was jewelry. But...today's feature is just that cool, I promise you won't be disappointed. (Also, on that note: I had a ton of people who do jewelry want a feature. Which is cool, but I want a little more variety. If you know anyone, or yourself want to be featured, email me or leave a comment. Seriously!)

So, today's feature is J2Jewelry. Be prepared. This is unlike any jewelry I've ever seen:



Tell us about yourself, name, location, what have you!
My name Is Jenna Rice and I live in Kalamazoo Michigan- yes, really- with my husband and two repurposed hounds (SPCA all the way!). I work in a bead shop, which was probably a poor choice as a significant portion of my check goes to feed my addiction to all things shiny.

What inspires you?
That moment before you close your eyes and, all of a sudden, you figure out the answer to that question that's been bugging you all day. -Also- bugs, trees, kind gestures, cups of tea, wonder, good stories, deceptive simplicity and joy.

How did you get into crafting?
My mom had this drawer next to her sewing machine that was home to things that needed repair- mostly jewelry and toys. I used to sit on the floor and spend hours trying to fix puppets or broken watches and re-imagine the things that were too far gone to ever be whole again. Armed with a spool of dental floss, a pair of tweezers and scissors I created some pretty awful necklaces and a few decent ones.


{I love mustaches. Seriously, last year I had a mustache party for my birthday.}

Where do you do your jewelry making?
I hate to admit this as I have a room upstairs alloted just for my materials, but I work on my couch. It's a terrible habit, but I keep my computer next to me so I can listen to music on headphones and completely immerse myself in designing (a good day) or flip obsessively between my Etsy shop and Facebook (on a slow day). My coffee table is always flooded with beads, containers of silver clay and tools.

Would you rather have a peg leg or a hook hand?
I'm a bit of a klutz, so someday my answer to this might actually be vital. Peg leg. Totally. I need two hands to load and unload my kiln. Plus, they are making some amazingly beautiful prosthetics these days...

Peg Leg. Again, nice choice.


{Okay, now Pea Pods are adorable}

What are the last five songs played in your itunes?
Ooooh! *Love* this question!
"Silver Lining" Rilo Kiley, "Sabotage" Beastie Boys, "When Will I Be Loved" The Everly Brothers, "Shake it to the Ground" DJ Blaqstarr, and "I Think I Need a New Heart" The Magnetic Fields.

Oh, I love the range and variety!

I love how you have some very atypical jewelry in your store, how do you think of different things to do?
I play. Seriously. I keep an old coffee can that is full of not-quites and pull something from it from time to time and rework it until I like it. My silver pieces almost always begin when I'm musing, "I wonder if I could...". Just like my seven year old self, I imagine and take apart and rebuild all of the time.

Well, that was J2Jewelry! Be sure to check the shop out! And feel free to buy me a mustache necklace. I won't stop you.

No comments: