December 27, 2006

Well, here is some sort of update!

Actually, it is more-so a "what I have learned/observed thus far..."

1: International flights rock. Seriously. Who would have guessed. You get fed three times, the food is good, warm towels, movies...It almost makes me want to fly international all the time.

2: People are the same no matter where you are from. Warm, long flights, will make children cranky. Babies will cry.

3: Planes can get hot. Really hot when 200 plus people are stuck inside for 15 minutes without power.

4: Don't think anything is normal for too long, because it can, and likely will turn very strange. For example, we were leaving the Accra airport upon arrival and we thought that it all was pretty easy and normal. And then we stepped outside. There were literally hundreds of Ghanians waiting for people held back by gates, that we had to walk to and through to find Nana's parents.

5: Avoid looking into taxi lights when you are walking along the road at night. You likely will fall into the open ditch (picture to come later,) like Tiffany did the first night.

6: Fences a must; grass, a novelty.

7: Driving is a free for all. Including the type of driving surfaces.

8: Deoxycyline (the anti-malarial I am on) on an empty stomach will cause Liz to vomit.

9: The ocean, in fact, is really salty.

10: I actually don't have ten, but tomorrow we are off to Cape Coast to see the slave forts, which will be our first "touristy" thing. Thus far, I've mostly just met every person Nana has ever known. And I'm not exaggerating about that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liz.. sounds like you're having a great time over there, and thanks for writing me an e-mail saying happy birthday, as it meant alot to me.. :)

Anonymous said...

Lizzie! I am so glad I saw the link to this on your MySpace. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas en-route and it sounds like you're living it up in Africa. Savor every minute of it. Can't wait to hear all about it! (in non blog form)

Anonymous said...

Oh by the way, that last comment was from Kristin. I'm dumb and forgot to put my name ;)