September 17, 2008

Day 8-9

Day 8-9

La Grande, Or to Portland Or

The drive to Portland was one of the shortest of the entire trip, at about 5 hours I believe. When I awoke in the morning, my tent was most, and covered with little grubbies that took a lot of work to shake off the wet tent.

About half way to Portland, I came around the interstate to what looked like a big blue lake on my right. After driving along side the “lake” for a few minutes and thinking it was an awfully long lake, I realized that it was no lake, it was the Columbia River. I’m used to big, muddy rivers that occasionally look blue if the weather is nice. It was a sunny day out, but that river was the bluest I’ve ever seen. It was also a lot larger than I imagined.

About this point, I called up Lynette, and worked out staying with her and her husband, which was a relief. Getting into Portland, I followed hastily written directions to their apartment, managed to drive about 15 yards from the apartment for some time.

After actually meeting Lynette and Jon, I set off in the city, going to Powell books, and well, not a lot else. I didn’t know what exactly to see in Portland, and I’ve got to admit, it was a little odd staying with people I didn’t know at all. I enjoyed a shower, a good dinner (and dessert at a dessert place,) and I played the wii for the first time. All in all, it was good and relaxing.

No comments: